Where There Were No Doors

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before - Joseph Campbell

Friday, January 28, 2005

Buffyology

I was going to just make this a Quick Link in the right-hand column, but Buffyology is, quite frankly, far too impressive a site for such casual treatment.

The show Buffy The Vampire Slayer is, for me, a high water mark in television history (the high water mark? very possibly). Yes, yes... I know what you're thinking, and I too spent a couple of years believing it was "Beverly Hills 90210 with monsters" and giving it a wide berth as a result.

I was wrong. And if you believe that, or indeed believe it to be anything other than a high water mark in television history, then you too are wrong.

One day (perhaps that day will be very soon) I shall explain why this is the case, and just why it is that someone like me - who lists Thomas Pynchon and James Joyce as his two favourite authors - should consider an apparently throwaway piece of TV pop-culture as being one of the first true pieces of "televisual literature" (for want of a phrase that either doesn't exist, or escapes me).

But that day is not today. Instead I will merely remind those who are already fans that if they ever need to settle an argument on the subject, then Buffyology is the place to go.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Lioness said...

I will check out the link now but, for the record, Buffy absolutely ROCKS! Yes.

29/1/05 00:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please help us to find this man!
Traitor and proud
NO2ID - Stop ID cards and the database state
Take the MIT Weblog Survey
Elect the Lords Campaign

Blogger Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
XML feed eXTReMe Tracker

web tracker
Wikablog - The Weblog Directory