Where There Were No Doors

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before - Joseph Campbell

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Setting a reminder

Hey-ho. One thing you'll have to get used to, is the fact that I'm not going to be posting much on weekends. The occasional snippet of information... maybe a photo or whatever... but I'm trying to set aside weekends this year for "serious" writing, even though I have quite spectacularly failed to do so today, and have instead spent my time sat around listening to music and nodding my head along to the really good bits.

I also dipped in and out of several books; an anthology of short writing entitled Irish Writers Against War (which has several really excellent pieces in it, including the poem Suffer The Children by John F. Deane), a book of essays by Albert Einstein entitled The World As I See It which opens (Chapter 1, Page 1) - with Einstein's knowing playfulness - with a single short paragraph under the title: The Meaning of Life. That paragraph goes as follows...
The Meaning of Life
What is the meaning of human life, or of organic life altogether? To answer this question at all implies a religion. Is there any sense then, you ask, in putting it? I answer; the man who regards his own life and that of his fellow creatures as meaningless is not merely unfortunate but almost disqualified from life.

What a glorious way to open a book entitled called "The World As I See It".

The other book I dipped into today was Richard Heinberg's The Party's Over. It's currently the definitive book on the subject of peak oil and the impact it will have on the capitalist system. The "serious writing" I alluded to earlier is an attempt to write the definitive book on a different aspect of the same issue. But more about that in a dedicated blog entry some time when it's not a good deal later on Saturday evening than I'd thought.

I will leave you with this quote from Jim Kunstler's blog: Clusterfuck Nation. Kunstler, by the way, knows his shit on this subject. In his post, Predictions for 2005, he makes this ominous call...
2005 will be the year that the public gets panicky about the global energy predicament.
Now that could get interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please help us to find this man!
Traitor and proud
NO2ID - Stop ID cards and the database state
Take the MIT Weblog Survey
Elect the Lords Campaign

Blogger Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
XML feed eXTReMe Tracker

web tracker
Wikablog - The Weblog Directory