Where There Were No Doors

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before - Joseph Campbell

Thursday, February 17, 2005

"Traditional Social Norms"?

Peter Cuthbertson is a right-wing UK blogger. I read his site for a variety of reasons, but mostly the comedy value. His ideas are often so absurd as to make me laugh out loud... I can recall some time ago, when mentioning his own religious beliefs, he said (apparently without irony) "I think the Christians have probably got it right".

As a statement of faith, it's right up there with the best of them. I could spend all day joyously deconstructing exactly what it implies of a person that they "think the Christians have probably got it right", but I've just not got the time, sadly.

I'm actually in the midst of writing a piece about the use of the word "Islamofascist" and exactly what that says about the person who uses it (especially if, like Mr. Cuthbertson, you're studing Politics at university and should know better). But I couldn't restrain myself from bringing this to your attention. It's a line from Peter's most recent blog entry, and it stands out as one of the most spectacularly absurd pronouncements I've ever encountered on a blog.

And just imagine the competition it's up against!

As I say, I have other stuff to do... so I can't spend time telling you just why I think this line deserves special recognition... I'll just leave it with you, and let you decide...

"... as science continues more and more to confirm traditional social norms."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

Thanks for the link.

Perhaps you will find time soon to explain what you do mean. Equally, I'd be interested if you could specify the alternative (to) economics you describe in quite vague terms a few posts down.

BTW, I've not blogrolled you, but only because your blog isn't really predominantly political.

17/2/05 17:02  
Blogger Jim Bliss said...

I shall of course do you the courtesy of a fuller explanation with regards to why I found your statement so funny. And as for the alternative to economics, I shall hopefully be publishing the next part of my "Death of Capitalism" article quite soon (which will begin to address that).

Sadly though, economics is proving to be my downfall yet again! For verily I must eat, and purchase concert tickets, pot, books and the continuance of a roof over my head. And there's a lot of work available right now... so it may be a couple of days.


PS: Peter; we have crossed swords briefly before (when I was at the cloud23.net site). I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to ambush you from behind an alias!

17/2/05 17:49  
Anonymous Jez said...

Perhaps unwisely, I got into a nasty little argument with a nasty little right-wing blogger (can't remember who) some time ago about their use of the term "Islamofascist". Thoroughly infuriating. And I hate getting into arguments with right-wingers: the coherence of my arguments decrease exponentially to my level of anger/irritation.

22/2/05 22:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please help us to find this man!
Traitor and proud
NO2ID - Stop ID cards and the database state
Take the MIT Weblog Survey
Elect the Lords Campaign

Blogger Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
XML feed eXTReMe Tracker

web tracker
Wikablog - The Weblog Directory