Where There Were No Doors

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before - Joseph Campbell

Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Sharpener (and the Twat vote)

There's a new group blog thingie opening over at The Sharpener (trying to make a point - geddit?) Curiously enough, I'm kind of involved. The editorial folks - unconcerned by the legal and spiritual implications - have asked me to be a contributor. Which is very nice of them indeed (and remember guys... you'll get to see your families again after I've posted five entries. Not before).


I'm off to vote in a few minutes. Well, I'm off to make a pointless gesture like the childish twat I am.

Y'see, already today I've been told that spoiling my ballot with "None of The Above" in big black marker pen is utterly pointless. I've been told I'm being childish, and - best of all - that I'm "a twat".

Firstly, can I point out that deliberately spoiling your ballot is - almost by definition - not "utterly pointless". A point is clearly being made... even if nobody is listening.

Yeah yeah. Semantics. Whatever whatever.

And as for childish? Well at least I'm not a poop-head like you!

The "twat" remark came right out of left field. Someone on a web forum I use announced that a Green vote is pointless, and anyone who spoils their vote is a twat. The only way to vote, apparently, is for Blair (to keep out the tories). There's no way to respond to that really. You just have to hope those kinds of people are getting access to the help they need.


I'll not be doing an election-night "live blog" as will some. But I will be sitting up all bloody night (like the fool I am) surfing between the 6 (count 'em) channels showing blanket coverage. If something really groovy happens (like Oliver "dog kicker" Letwin getting voted out) then I'll probably do a little jig and post a triumphant message here to that effect.

I'll also be keeping an eye on the various election blogs to see what's making other people do their dance. I suspect, sadly, that the result of today's election will make a popular revolution necessary sometime during the next parliament. I'm Irish, so I can't really start it (can you imagine the political implications?) but I'll gladly offer planning and logistical support to anyone who fancies trying. So long as we're basing our plans along the lines of the Gandhi approach, as opposed to the Lenin one.

Or even something in between at a pinch.

Now. Off to make a childish point. Twat!

6 Comments:

Anonymous P said...

The forum this happened in is generally a fairly intelligent and progressive one, although bad feeling does occur from time to time. The guy in question has previously recieved a lot of abuse when being less ascerbic and confrontational than he often is. Still, I have to admit, he does his point of view no favours.

5/5/05 23:08  
Blogger Hove Labour said...

I'm glad I was down at my local count, rather than arguing figures I've read off a computer screen with other bloggers.

Delighted to say we held on in Hove and the rest of the South coast. Met hundreds of voters and they liked what Labour had to offer, and had done - result.

6/5/05 03:38  
Blogger merrick said...

I wouldn't worry about the insults your choice has garnered. You've been a twat since long before you spoiled ballot papers.

6/5/05 17:33  
Blogger Jim Bliss said...

Actually merrick, I think you'll find that's your mum.

6/5/05 17:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure we know whom the "twat" was in that exchange and it definitely wasn't u sir james...

who the hell really knows which is rite and which is wrong... i mean, u know which way i went and thot i had it sussed, but the old cons figured out the neocons plans and slowed them down... other wize i think we'd be on the verge of les miserables amerikan style...

ron

6/5/05 17:37  
Blogger merrick said...

Jim, thanks for the tip, I went off and checked and now see I was wrong.

So, however, were you.

It is, in fact, your mum.

6/5/05 21:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please help us to find this man!
Traitor and proud
NO2ID - Stop ID cards and the database state
Take the MIT Weblog Survey
Elect the Lords Campaign

Blogger Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
XML feed eXTReMe Tracker

web tracker
Wikablog - The Weblog Directory