Where There Were No Doors

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before - Joseph Campbell

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Some links and a short film review

It's been a quiet weekend. Most are these days. As Einstein once remarked; "I much prefer silent vice to ostenatious virtue". I find myself in agreement with him on that. As on many things.

I wrote half an article on peak oil for The Sharpener. It kind of tapered out sadly, but I'll hopefully rediscover the impetus for that sometime during the week. Other bloggers, however, have been more productive of late...

Over at Bristling Badger, Merrick tells us a bit about our friend, the torturer. If you ever wanted evidence that US/UK foreign policy has precisely nothing to do with "protecting oppressed peoples", our warm friendship with the brutal dictator in Uzbekistan is all you need.

Meanwhile Harry Hutton's correspondence with Sir Boris Johnsons MP had me laughing out loud. Excellent stuff.

And I discovered this article via Ken MacLeod's blog. It's pretty full-on stuff. Seymour Hersh: Iraq "Moving Towards Open Civil War".



Last night I watched the Jonathan Demme remake of The Manchurian Candidate and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

It says, of course, far more about the state of modern culture than about the film when I say it's one of the more subversive things to emerge from Hollywood for a good while. Yeah, yeah there was a cop-out (pun intended) when "the feds" show up to save the day... but it's good to see the whole capitalist military-industrial thingamajig being the bad guys even if, by judicious sleight-of-hand, America itself escapes direct criticism.

It was the Corporate Machine Run Amok what did it! Not America.

The film looks great, the performances are excellent all round, there are some truly chilling set pieces, and the ending is actually a bit more ambiguous than it first seems (though far less ambiguous than it would have been if I'd been asked to give the script a little ooomph).

Anyways, I'm not saying this is a classic. It's not. But it is a very good, intelligent film. Recommended.

3 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I rather liked the new version of the Manchurian Candidate as well, although I was unable to suspend my disbelief for some of it. Never seemed to have that problem with Star Wars for some reason....

Haven't seen the original Manchurian Candidate yet, but I've heard it's good.

16/5/05 04:10  
Anonymous David Duff said...

Sorry, Jim, this has nothing to do with your post, but I thought it might interest you and give you a smile - however brief!

http://www.iii.co.uk/markets/?type=editorial&id=33853

You see how I bring sunshine into your life.

16/5/05 13:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also saw the remake of The Manchurian Candidate recently. Not bad, entertaining, but not a patch on the original, which contains a most surreal Frank Sinatra conversation on a train that has to rank as one of the oddest bits of screenwriting ever committed to celluloid.

Joel

16/5/05 15:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please help us to find this man!
Traitor and proud
NO2ID - Stop ID cards and the database state
Take the MIT Weblog Survey
Elect the Lords Campaign

Blogger Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
XML feed eXTReMe Tracker

web tracker
Wikablog - The Weblog Directory