Where There Were No Doors

Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before - Joseph Campbell

Saturday, January 28, 2006

7x7 blog meme

In the name of all that's sacred, I said I was going to be busy for the next few weeks! So what makes you think I have time to be doing this 7x7 blog meme thing!? Honestly Justin, it boggles the mind.

Still, if that's what people want to read, who am I to blow against the wind? I guess it's just one of those crosses we bloggers must bear. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

I wanted a blog post, and for my sins they gave me one, and when it was over I'd never want another.

Seven Things To Do Before I Die

  1. Fall in love one more time.
  2. Write something that sets off the same imaginative fireworks in the head of one reader, that Vineland by Thomas Pynchon set off in mine.
  3. Meet David Bowie.
  4. Rent a car and drive down the west coast of America.
  5. Grow my own food and learn to live sustainably.
  6. Become God-Emperor of earth and rule the planet as a benign dictator bringing an end to needless suffering and ushering in an Age of Enlightenment.
  7. Come to terms with my mortality.

Seven Things I Cannot Do

  1. Speak Russian.
  2. See the words "Aloe Vera" written down and not think 'Allo Vera in an exaggerated cockney accent.
  3. Eat red meat (or broccoli or cauliflower).
  4. Surf.
  5. Lift trains.
  6. See any way of affecting - via democratic means - the political, economic and structural changes that will be necessary to shift our society towards sustainability.
  7. Catch a falling star and put it in my pocket.

Seven Things That Attract Me to... (a woman)

  1. A pulse.
  2. Well whaddya want? I've been single for a long time!
  3. Anyways, what is this? Some kind of online dating meme?
  4. SWM WLTM SWF GSOH LSD CND BBC. I ask you!
  5. Intelligence, compassion, decency, anti-authoritarian outlook, wit, sincerity and creativity. What did you expect?
  6. And look, I'm a man, so yes it does help if the person in question is easy on the eye.
  7. Most importantly though... someone who enjoys my company and considers me easy on the eye. Those are very attractive qualities indeed.

Seven Things I Say

  1. Oh bugger!
  2. Well, it's like what Einstein said...
  3. Groovy.
  4. Bong anyone?
  5. Shush! Everyone be quiet! Check out this bit... the way the guitars kick in...
  6. Well, it's like what Orwell said...
  7. WHAT?!

Seven Good Books

  1. Vineland - Thomas Pynchon
  2. Love - Mahalia
  3. Relativity - Albert Einstein
  4. 1984 - George Orwell
  5. Stone Junction - Jim Dodge
  6. Tales of Ordinary Madness - Charles Bukowski
  7. Vermillion Sands - JG Ballard

Seven Good Movies

  1. Dolls
  2. Down By Law
  3. Office Space
  4. Serenity
  5. Zoolander
  6. Waking Life
  7. Amelie

Seven Blogs To Tag

  1. Bristling Badger
  2. Goldfish Nation
  3. Kerosene Oyster Hell
  4. Vertical Blue
  5. Jezblog
  6. Pigdogfucker
  7. Random Speak

17 Comments:

Blogger L said...

hmmm...I will have to think about that one

28/1/06 21:40  
Anonymous Jez said...

That's the second time I've been tagged. I'll probably get round to it by Tuesday.

Mind you, Rochenko from Smokewriting tagged me with another one about six months ago. I'll have to do that sometime, too...

29/1/06 19:35  
Blogger zoe said...

thank you for the tag! that was a nice surprise!

i shall probably say mine'll be done by friday and then end up posting it in march.

30/1/06 01:12  
Blogger Justin said...

Hey Jim, just spreading the love. Been meaning to send you the email that says Bill Gates will pay you $3 for every time you forward it on, as well.

30/1/06 13:52  
Blogger Larry Teabag said...

That's the second time Pigdodfucker's been tagged too... He'll never do it though.

So you're saying Zoolander's actually good? Well I'm... amazed. I've been avoiding it like the plague, but I might now check it out. Dolls on the other hand I've been meaning to see for a while, but haven't yet got round to.

30/1/06 16:06  
Blogger Jim Bliss said...

Larry, I should point out that the seven films mentioned are simply seven films I've watched recently that I'd heartily recommend. I'm not suggesting that Zoolander is one of the top seven films of all time (unlike say, Dolls, which is). However, it's definitely near the top of my list of films that confounded my expectations.

A year or so prior to Zoolander a film was released called Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo. I have never seen that movie, merely sat through the trailer - aghast - on a couple of occasions. In my mind it represents all that is cringe-inducing about Hollywood.

And what the marketing for Zoolander completely failed to get across is that Zoolander is a witty and razor-sharp satire of that kind of film (and celebrity culture in general), rather than being an example of it.

Marx Brothers films are usually the only ones that can make me consistently clap my hands with glee. Zoolander does the same thing (David Bowie's cameo is little short of comedic genius, and Zoolander's line about how his dead friends were like his brothers... but how he means it the way black people mean it... it had me weeping with laughter).

A real case of not judging a film by it's marketing. If Fight Club can be seen to symbolise 'millenial' dramatic film-making, then Zoolander and I Heart Huckabees do the same for comedy.

All you people who were tagged... L, Jez and Zoe have got no excuse for dragging your heels. I'm moving country in 3 weeks, plus I have a massive work project to do at the same time. And yet I still managed to find the time.

(Note: in this case "Find the time" actually translates to "Hit a brick wall in the code I'm writing and need to think about something else for half an hour before trying again from a new angle")

Justin, I'll swap you Bill's three dollars per email for the 18 million dollars that I've been promised by the widow of the ex-Nigerian Oil Minister.

30/1/06 17:33  
Anonymous PMM said...

You may have an extra gene or something! Apparently a small proportion of humanity have a gene which gives them extra taste buds. These receptors pick up on certain oils (mustard oil?) present in vegetables of the Brassica family, and so where Cauli and Broccolli (and sprouts cabbage turnip etc) taste like mmmmmmm to most people, they taste like bleeeuuurrggghhh to those with the extra wossnames.

Like me.

It's not just some childish hangup from being force fed the stuff as a kid. I eat some breaded mushrooms as the only veggie option in a pub a couple of years ago, but they weren't mushrooms. They were blleeuuurrrrgghhh.

30/1/06 23:29  
Blogger Rachel said...

Done! Thanks for the tag. I'm actually surprised at how quick it was to do.

1/2/06 00:42  
Blogger L said...

your wish is my command, Dear Sir :)

2/2/06 04:40  
Anonymous Jez said...

I've done the bloody thing now!

3/2/06 02:05  
Blogger Jim Bliss said...

Oooh... I'm giddy with the power. Zoe, Jez, L and Rachel (and Merrick over at Bristling Badger); you have all completed phase one of your initiation. Phase two involves sprinkling rose-petals on the ground before my feet wherever I walk, feeding me grapes as I recline on a divan, and donating your worldly possessions to my new Church.

It'll be fun!

PMM, I'd heard that too... about having an extra taste-receptor or something, and that's the reason we find cauliflower and broccoli so nasty. It does make sense though; given how incredibly repellant I find the taste, I've always found it hard to believe that anyone could like it.

your wish is my command, Dear Sir :)
Ahh... if only that were really true.

6/2/06 17:22  
Blogger merrick said...

I draw your attention to my response and the two additoinal questions, and hereby insist you answer them forthwith.

6/2/06 18:03  
Blogger L said...

no,no,no; you've mixed things up AGAIN. You're supposed to peel and feed ME grapes as I languish on a divan :)

9/2/06 02:24  
Blogger zoe said...

donating my worldly possessions, hmm?

are you *sure* you want three demanding cats in with all that lot?

9/2/06 10:39  
Anonymous Double Glazing said...

Hanging a door can be a frustrating process the first time or two. Taking time to check for plumb/square/level throughout the project will prevent frustration and achieve good results.

18/10/10 15:27  
Blogger custom said...

Thanks for sharing this information

http://slndoors.com/custom-doors/

13/3/11 04:39  
Anonymous plumbing said...

Know your limitations. Limit the text on your slides. Be as brief as possible so your audience isn't more interested in reading your slides than listening to you.

20/5/11 08:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please help us to find this man!
Traitor and proud
NO2ID - Stop ID cards and the database state
Take the MIT Weblog Survey
Elect the Lords Campaign

Blogger Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com
XML feed eXTReMe Tracker

web tracker
Wikablog - The Weblog Directory